几何尺寸与公差论坛

找回密码
 注册
查看: 750|回复: 0

getting out of this job

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-9-5 22:52:43 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
getting out of this job
i am currently working as a manufacturing engineer for a huge aerospace company yes the money is good but it bores me.  how do i get into teaching at a collage?? what qualifications are needed??
check out our whitepaper library.
you could start by offering to teach a class at a community college as a test.  
it may be that it's not what you think it all cracked up to be.
ttfn
you'll also have to look into what types of classes you will want to teach and at what university.  many universities require a doctorate for you to be a professor.  otherwise, you'll just be an associate professor or staff.  
i've been in manufacturing with several different companies the last fifteen years.  i also got bored and did some teaching at penn state.  i taught a  manufacturing processes lab, lectured as a guest and taught statics.
it was much like i had heard - long hours and low pay.
most universities require at least an ms, which i don't have, to get anywhere.
suggestions:
-if your going to teach pick a subject you love
-try teaching a class before making a move
   if your primary concern is to get out of manufacturing, i would strongly urge you to move laterally in your company to something related, such as joining the structures or design group.   you won't lose any pay or seniority, your knowledge in manufacturing would be a great asset and you'll become a more valuable employee with the cross-training.
   to increase your pay, you may try changing departments and changing companies at the same time.
i am working for an airline since 13 yrs; since 6 yrs, i combine this engineering job with teaching as a guest lecturer at a technical university; it is a good combination to get in touch with the upcoming generation, other companies and to stay in touch with the (hard) reality as well;only teaching might become boring as well....
i taught for vatterott college for nine months.  the hours were 7:30 to 12:30 and 5:30 to 10:30 everyday monday thru thursday.  you didn't get bored you got worn out!
most universities require a ph.d. for a tenure track faculty position. if you don't have one, you may still be able to get in if you have an ms and a connection. if you don't know anybody, and don't have an advanced degree, then forget it. you won't get in. and if money is a prime concern, you'd better get ready to tighten your belt. a full time position at a university will pay you about half the money you're making now.
if teaching as an adjunct faculty member appeals to you, then you should be able to find a position easily. colleges and universities sometimes prefer adjunct faculty members because they don't have to provide them with any benefits, and they cost much less than a typical full time employee. and at the end of the semester, their employment is terminated so there is no commitment. this may be a good thing for you to try to see if teaching is a viable career path for you. you could teach two nights a week after you get out of work. and if you decide that you'd be bored doing this as well, then at the end of the semester, you're done anyway.
here is something else to consider if you choose to pursue a tenure track faculty position. most adjuncts have very little if any teaching experience, so they tend to be less skilled at communicating with undergraduates than a full time employee who depends on this position for his livelihood. as a result, the quality of the education that the undergraduates receive could deteriorate. but that also depends on the teacher - some adjuncts with industrial experience are far better instructors than the full time employees who never worked outside of a university. in either case, since adjuncts are cheap, colleges and universities that are loking for ways to cut costs will hire them to fill vacancies left by retiring faculty members rather than hire a new full time employee. this makes full time jobs more scarce, and you should be wary of departments that have more adjunct faculty members than full time employees. this kind of imbalance is a growing concern among existing faculty   
one has to do work in which he can enjoy. if your interest is in teaching, try to get at reputed institute otherwise you might feel guilty to leave the current job.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|小黑屋|几何尺寸与公差论坛

GMT+8, 2024-5-12 07:09 , Processed in 0.035399 second(s), 19 queries .